QUEENS, N.Y. - The Columbia men's soccer team went on the road for its final out-of-conference Tuesday night, falling to the Red Storm of St. John's, 3-1, at Belson Field.

St. John's produced its first scoring chance in the 13th minute. From 10 yards out, Jordan Rouse one-timed a shot towards the far post that Kyle Jackson laid out and knocked wide of the net to keep the match tied, 0-0.

Kofi Agyapong responded with a shot of his own in the 21st minute, but St. John's keeper Rafael Diaz cut the ball off. Jackson came up with another good stop in the 33rd minute, stopping a blast from Brandon Savino aimed directly at the top right corner.

Jack Bennett would have one final scoring chance in the final minute of the half for St. John's, but his shot would go just wide of the left post. The Red Storm finished the first 45 minutes with seven shots, while the St. John's defense held Columbia to just one attempt.

The St. John's offense would break through just 29 seconds into second half. The Red Storm sent a cross in from the left corner that bounced around in the box and eventually found the head of a diving Nick Matthews, breaking the scoreless tie.

The Red Storm made it 2-0 in the 64th minute, as Jelani Williams corralled a pass from Jimmy Mulligan down the right side, turned and sent a hard shot to the far post for the goal.

Although the Columbia offense struggled to create any momentum through the first 25 minutes of the second half, Henning Sauerbier got the Lions on the board in the 73rd minute. Agyapong passed a nice ball through from the far sideline to Sauerbier who blasted it into the net to bring Columbia within one, 2-1.

The tilt in Columbia's favor would be short-lived, as just under three minutes later St. John's posted its third goal of the contest. Jimmy Mulligan chipped a shot from about 40 yards out that had enough air under it to float over an extended Jackson and into the back of the goal.

Sauerbier had one more shot on net in the 86th minute, but his left-footed shot was saved by Diaz. St. John's finished the game with 15 shots, while Columbia managed just three. Jackson came up with four saves in the goal for Columbia and Diaz made saves on each of the Lions' two shots on goal.

Ivy League action begins for Columbia Saturday night when the Lions visit Providence, R.I. for a matchup at Brown. Game time is set for 7 p.m.