MONMOUTH (1-3) AT COLUMBIA (0-1)
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28 • 12:30 P.M.
NORTHERN MANHATTAN NEIGHBORS APPRECIATION DAY
ROBERT K. KRAFT FIELD AT WIEN STADIUM • NEW YORK
Live Video & Audio Stream: Ivy League Digital Network (Subscription Required for Video)
- Schedule Posters, magnets and game programs to all fans
- Drawstring Bags to first 1,000 fans entering the Class of 1905 Gates
- T-Shirts to first 500 students
- Taste of Manhattan - Free samples on the Wien Stadium concourse from local restaurants including Papa Johns of Inwood, Indian Road Cafe, Garden Cafe and Frava.
- Face painting station for fans of all ages
- Photo Opportunities with Roar-ee the Lion
TAKE THE 1 TRAIN TO THE GAME
Getting to the game:
- From Downtown/Brooklyn/Queens: Take the 1 train to 215th Street and walk three blocks to the Baker Athletics Complex.
- Alternate: Take the A train to 207th Street and Broadway. Walk uptown on Broadway to the Baker Athletics Complex at 218th Street.
- Alternate: Take the Metro North train on the Hudson line from Grand Central Station or Harlem-125th Street to the Marble Hill station at West 225th Street. Walk one block east to Broadway and seven blocks south, across the Bronx-Manhattan Bridge to the Baker Athletics Complex.
- From Uptown/Bronx: Take the 1 train to 215th Street and walk three blocks to the Baker Athletics Complex.
- Going Downtown/Brooklyn/Queens: Walk three blocks from the Baker Athletics Complex and take the 1 train to 215th Street.
- Alternate: Walk to 207th Street. Take the A TRAIN to appropriate stop.
- Alternate: Take the Metro North train from the Marble Hill station at West 225th Street. Walk seven blocks north and one block west to the Marble Hill stop and take the train going southbound to Grand Central Station or Harlem-125th Street.
- Going Uptown/Bronx: Walk three blocks to 215th Street. Take the 1 train from 215th Street to the appropriate stop.
FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING
Saturday’s contest will be the first-ever meeting between the Columbia and Monmouth football programs. The Hawks are a relatively new program, playing their first FCS season in 1993.
The Hawks picked up their first win of the season at Holy Cross last Saturday. Monmouth led 21-0 with under five minutes left to play, but had to hang on for a seven-point victory, after the Crusaders scored a pair of touchdowns late in the fourth quarter.
For the second consecutive week Monmouth junior running backs K.B. Asante and Julian Hayes eclipsed the 100-yard plateau, with Asante rushing for 118 and Hayes picking up 132.
COLUMBIA IN HOME OPENERS
Dating back to 1946, the Lions are 29-36-1 in home openers at Wien Stadium.
ON THE MARC
Senior running back Marcorus Garrett picked up right where he left off after his All-Ivy Leauge 2012 campaign, rushing for 89 yards on 15 carries against Fordham on Sept. 21. The Marietta, Ga., native has accumulated 1,341 yards in his career, putting him seventh on the Lions’ all-time list, and is just 651 yards from tying Louis Kusserow ‘49 for second place.
FLATTERY FOR FLANNERY
In just one game, wide receiver Ryan Flannery had more than twice as many receiving yards and had one fewer reception than he did in all of 2012. The junior caught six passes for 108 yards and a touchdown in the Lions’ season-opener at Fordham. For his efforts, Flannery was named to the Ivy League Weekly Honor Roll on Sept. 23.
EAST-BOUND AND DOWN
Senior linebacker Brian East continued his knack of recovering fumbles, picking up two loose balls at Fordham on Sept. 21. East also recovered two fumbles last season to rank second in the Ivy League in that category.
Sophomore Trevor McDonagh will start under center this week with the loss of Brett Nottingham to injury. The St. Louis product led Columbia’s 82-yard scoring driving which included an 11-yard touchdown pass, the first of his career, to Ryan Flannery in the fourth quarter at Fordham.
COLUMBIA FOOTBALL TODAY
Every Saturday during the Columbia football season, tune in to “The Answer” 970AM for Columbia Football Today at 7:30 a.m. Hosts Jerry Recco, Dalen Cuff ‘06CC and Pete Mangurian will preview all the action for the Lions’ upcoming game.