Columbia Caps UNF Invitational with 2-2 Tie Against North Florida
Courtesy: Columbia University Athletics/Mike McLaughlin

Box Score 

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Columbia sophomore Elly McGuffog led the Lions with an assist in the first half and score in the second half, as the Columbia women's soccer team finished with a 2-2 draw against North Florida in double overtime on Sunday, Sep. 15.

The Lions returned to Patton Park for its final match of a two game slate at the North Florida Invitational. On a hot day in the sunshine state, Columbia stayed strong to improve to 2-2-1 on the season.

The Lions took the early lead as junior Phoenetia Browne scored in the 34th minute on a pass from McGuffog. In a first half where Columbia outshot North Florida 9-4, Browne made a strong play for her first career goal, finding the back of the net after dribbling through three Osprey defenders. Goalkeeper Grace Redmon made her third start of the season and tallied a pair of first half saves to hold North Florida scoreless for a 1-0 Columbia lead at the break.

North Florida came out on the attack early in the second half. The host team knotted the score at 1-1 in the 48th minute with a goal by Alexis Bredeau. With both teams battling for an edge in the second half, the Lions regained the lead in the 66th minute when McGuffog blasted in the score off the Beverly Leon assist to move ahead 2-1.

In the 88th minute, the Ospreys once again fought back to tie the score at 2-2. North Florida’s Keara Murphy squeezed in a goal late in the second half to extend the fierce Sunday battle at Patton Park. The Lions had several chances to take the lead in regulation, including a good look from Leon on a free kick, but the game would continue in overtime with score at 2-2.

In the first overtime, Redmon stepped up big in goal for the Lions as she shut the door on the Ospreys offense with two poised saves in the opening five minutes. With the score still knotted at 2-2 at the 100th minute, the Lions would play its second double overtime game of the season.

Both teams’ defensive efforts stayed solid for the remainder of the game with the contest ending as a draw at 2-2. Redmon finished with nine savesfor the game to anchor the Columbia defense.

Up next, the Lions will cap a four game road  at swing at Albany on Friday, Sep. 20 ta 7 p.m.