Yahr Scores Pair as Women's Soccer Ties Yale, 2-2
Courtesy: Columbia University Athletics/Mike McLaughlin

Box Score

NEW YORK -- Senior Ashlin Yahr scored twice in a span of 2:55 and the Columbia women's soccer team earned a 2-2 tie against Yale on Sunday evening at Columbia Soccer Stadium. Yahr's brace moves her to within one of Columbia's all-time goals scored record of 30, set by Tosh Forde in 1998.

Despite being outshot 12-2 in the first half, the Lions went into the locker room with the Bulldogs tied at 0-0. Senior goalkeeper Lillian Klein came up big a number of times, finishing the stanza with four saves.

No save in the first half was bigger than Klein's stop on Mary Kubiak in the 29th minute. Kubiak made her way all alone into the box but Klein came out to cut the angle down and pushed Kubiak's attempt wide.

Following halftime, the Bulldogs continued to put pressure on the Lions and in the 63rd minute it paid off as Melissa Gavin drilled a shot from 25 yards out over the head of Klein to put the score at 1-0.

Not to be outdone, the Lions responded a little over a minute later as sophomore Shannon FitzPatrick started the play with a long ball over the top to Yahr. Yahr tracked it down and slid a shot under Yale goalkeeper Elise Wilcox to knot the contest at 1-1.

The scoring spree continued three minutes later, as senior Marissa Schultz made a run up the middle and dropped a pass to Yahr on the right side. The Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. product ripped a shot from 15 yards that snuck past Wilcox to give Columbia a 2-1 cushion.

The lead held up until the 83rd minute, when Gavin dropped a pass to Enma Mullo 20 yards out. Mullo blasted a shot to the left side past Klein to tie the score again at 2-2.

In the first overtime, Kubiuk had a quick opportunity to close out the game for Yale but Klein was up to the task again just 23 seconds after kickoff. Toward the end of the period, first-year Sarah Forthal found herself alone on the right side but sailed a shot high from 15 yards away.

Yahr got a shot off from distance at the open of the second overtime period, but Wilcox made the save. After a free kick from Mullo sailed high and the Lions got a shot away midway through the period, the lights at Columbia Soccer Stadium suddently went out with 2:05 remaining in the match.

After a 15-minute delay, the match restarted and Gavin had one last chance with 28 seconds remaining but Klein made the save to preserve the tie. Klein closed the contest with seven saves.

Columbia (6-9-1, 3-2-1 Ivy) closes out the 2011 season on Saturday, Nov. 5 against Harvard. The match will mark the final contest in the careers of seven Lions: Nora Dooley, Megan Gallivan, Lillian Klein, Lindsay Mushett, Marissa Schultz, Liz Wicks and Ashlin Yahr.