NEW YORK - The No. 52 Columbia women's tennis team competed for the second time in as many days Sunday, hosting Akron at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center less than 24 hours after defeating Maryland in College Park, Md. Saturday. The short turn around had little effect on the Lions' performance, as Columbia toppled the Zips, 6-1.
Columbia took an early lead on Akron by tallying the doubles point. Crystal Leung and Amy Li posted a convincing 8-1 win over Olga Shkundina and Ksenia Berestetska in the No. 3 match. Katarina Kovacevic and Tiana Takenaga gave Columbia the doubles point with their second doubles win of the weekend in the No. 2 match. The duo downed Madison Cohen and Angelika Jogasuria by a score of 8-3.
In singles action, Columbia came away with five straight-set wins in the top five matches. Competing for the Lions in the No. 1 match, Sanon beat Angelina Jogauria, 6-3, 6-2. First-year Kanika Vaidya played a close first set against Shkundina, but battled past the Akron sophomore for the 7-6, 6-2 victory.
Leung and Kovacevic improved to 4-0 in their four matches this weekend, as they each recorded singles victories on Sunday. Leung got past Prang Pantusart with equal 6-3 sets, while Kovacevic downed Berestetska, 6-2, 7-5. Takenaga scored the most dominant win for Columbia, registering a 6-1, 6-2 win over Andrea Duva in the No. 5 match.
The Lions will be at home again next Saturday as Stony Brook visits the Dick Savitt Tennis Center for a 10 a.m. matchup.
Columbia 6, Akron 1
1. Sanon/Vaidya (C) vs. Pantusart/Ina Jogasuria (A) 5-6 DNF
2. Kovacevic/Takenaga (C) def. Cohen/Ika Jogasuria (A) 8-3
3. Leung/Li (C) def. Shkundina/Berestetska (A) 8-1
1. Bianca Sanon (C) def. Angelina Jogasuria (A) 6-3, 6-2
2. Kanika Vaidya (C) def. Olga Shkundina (A) 7-6, 6-2
3. Crystal Leung (C) def. Prang Pantusart (A) 6-3, 6-3
4. Katarina Kovacevic (C) def. Ksenia Berestetska (A) 6-2, 7-5
5. Tiana Takenaga (C) def. Andrea Duva (A) 6-1, 6-2
6. Madison Cohen (A) def. Amy Li (C) 6-4, 6-1