No. 43 Women's Tennis Defeats UMass, 5-2
NEW YORK - The No. 43 Columbia women’s tennis team defeated the UMass Minutewomen, 5-2, on Saturday at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center in their last home match before a two-week road stretch.
The Lions started the day off with a bang after mixing up their doubles lineup with three brand new pairs. Kanika Vaidya and Tina Jiang set the pace for Columbia when they won the No. 1 match, 8-3, against Sonia Bokhari and Yuliana Motyl. The No. 3 match finished next, where Vivian Cheng and Tiana Takenaga took down Arielle Griffin and Aarzoo Malik, 8-2, securing the doubles point for the Lions. Ioana Alecsiu and Gabriela Suriano finished the No. 2 match shortly after, defeating Arielle Griffin and Anna Woosley, 8-2.
Jiang extended the Lions lead by taking the No. 2 singles match in straight 6-0 sets. Vaidya pushed the Lions to within one of the decision, taking the No.1 match in straight sets as well.
The Minutewomen were able to grab a couple points in the No. 3 and 4 matches, Malik brought down Cheng in the No. 3 in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, while her teammate Griffin defeated Takenaga in a tight No. 4 match, 6-4, 7-5.
The match came down to the No. 5 and 6 matches. Alecsiu and Nada Zaher both took their matches to three sets. Alecsiu, playing in the No. 5 match took the first set 6-4, but dropped a tight second set 5-7. The senior came roaring back in the third to finish it, 6-0, and clinched the victory for the Columbia.
Zaher, who had yet to play in the dual season, took her first set at No. 6, 6-1, but fell in a close second against Jessica Podlofsky, 4-6. The sophomore battled her way through a tight third set coming back from a 1-3 deficit to win 7-5.
The Lions start on a two-week road stretch next weekend in Las Vegas where they will take on UC-Santa Barbara and UNLV.
No. 43 Columbia 5, UMass 2
1. Tina Jiang/Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Sonia Bakhari/Yuliana Motyl (UMass) 8-2
2. Ioana Alecsiu/Gabriela Suriano (COL) def. Chanel Glasper/Aarzoo Malik (UMass) 8-3
3. Vivian Cheng/Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Arielle Griffin/Anna Woosley (UMass) 8-2
1. Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Yuliana Motyl (UMass) 6-1, 6-4
2. Tina Jiang (COL) def. Sonia Bakhari (UMass) 6-0, 6-0
3. Aarzoo Malik (UMass) def, Vivian Cheng (COL) 6-1, 6-2
4. Anna Woosley (UMass) def. Tiana Takenaga (COL) 6-4, 7-5
5. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Arielle Griffin (UMass) 6-4, 5-7, 6-0
6. Nada Zaher (COL) def. Jessica Podlofsky (UMass) 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
Order of Finish
Doubles (1,3,2) Singles (2,1,3, 4, 5, 6)