No. 27 Women’s Tennis Tops UNLV, 4-2
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – The 27th-ranked women’s tennis team continued its winning ways Monday, beating the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels at Fertitta Tennis Complex, 4-2.
For the second straight day, Columbia captured wins in the first two doubles matches to earn the point. Thirteenth-ranked Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya battled to an 8-5 victory in the No. 1 match against Lucia Batta and Santa Shumilina. Tiana Takenaga and Vivian Cheng posted an even better score in the No. 3 doubles match, taking down Aleksandra Josifoska and Iren Kotseva by an 8-3 score.
UNLV showed some fight in the singles action, winning two matches, but Columbia secured the team win by taking three of the five completed matches.
Tina Jiang fought hard in the first set of the No. 2 match, earning a 6-4 win against Josifoska, but then cruised to a 6-0 win in the second set. Bianca Sanon picked up the win in the No. 3 match, topping Iren Kotseva, 6-1, 6-2. Crystal Leung provided the Lions with their fourth point, winning the No. 4 match, 6-4, 6-1.
The Lions will head back east for two matches in Miami, taking on Albany on Friday, March 21 and Florida International the following afternoon.
March 17, 2014 at Las Vegas, NV
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
#27 Columbia 4, UNLV 2
1. #51 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. #70 Kanika Vaidya (COLUMBIA) 6-3, 7-6
2. Tina Jiang (COLUMBIA) def. Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) 6-4, 6-0
3. #119 Bianca Sanon (COLUMBIA) def. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) 6-1, 6-2
4. Crystal Leung (COLUMBIA) def. Santa Shumilina (UNLV) 6-4, 6-1
5. Kamelia Dimitrova (UNLV) def. Vivian Cheng (COLUMBIA) 6-1, 6-2
6. Paola Artiga (UNLV) vs. Tiana Takenaga (COLUMBIA) unfinished
1. #13 Bianca Sanon/Kanika Vaidya (COLUMBIA) def. Lucia Batta/Santa Shumilina (UNLV) 8-5
2. Anett Ferenczi-Bako/Kamelia Dimitrova (UNLV) vs. #28 Tina Jiang/Crystal Leung (COLUMBIA) unfinished
3. Tiana Takenaga/Vivian Cheng (COLUMBIA) def. Aleksandra Josifoska/Iren Kotseva (UNLV) 8-3