No. 33 Women's Tennis Opens Ivy League Play WIth 6-1 Downing of Cornell
NEW YORK - The No. 33 women’s tennis team took down in-state rival Cornell at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center on Saturday, March 29 in the Ivy League season opener, 6-1.
The Lions came out swinging, taking the doubles point with victories in the No. 2 and 3 matches. No. 30 Tina Jiang and Crystal Leung brought home the first half of the point with their 8-2 victory. Ioana Alecsiu and Tiana Takenaga clinched the point with a 8-3 win in the No. 3 match.
Keeping the momentum alive in the singles matches, the Lions won five out of six matches in straight sets to clinch the victory for the Lions. Crystal Leung lost just two games in her 6-1, 6-1 downing of Lauren Frazier in the No. 4 match, while Kanika Vaidya, Jiang, Takenaga and Aleciu each only dropped three games in their matches.
The Lions continue their Ivy League schedule next week at Harvard on Saturday, April 4 and at Dartmouth on Sunday, April 5.
#33 Columbia 6, Cornell 0
1. #14 Bianca Sanon/Kanika Vaidya (COL) vs. Marika Cusick/Alexandra D'Ascenzo (COR) 7-4, unfinished
2. #30 Tina Jiang/Crystal Leung (COL) def. Christy Kung/Dena Tanenbaum (COR) 8-2
3. Ioana Alecsiu/Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Lauren Frazier/Kristin Quill (COR) 8-3
1. # 71 Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Dena Tanenbaum (COR) 6-2, 6-1
2. Bianca Sanon (COL) vs. Maika Cusick (COR) 6-7, ret.
3. Tina Jiang (COL) def. Alexandra D’Ascenzo (COR) 6-2, 6-1
4. Crystal Leung (COL) def. Lauren Frazier (COR) 6-1, 6-1
5. Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Christy Kung (COR) 6-3, 6-0
6. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Kristin Quill (COR) 6-1, 6-2