NEW YORK- The No. 33 Columbia women’s tennis team defeated Brown on Saturday, April 12 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center, 6-1.
The Lions jumped out to a 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point. No. 22 Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya quickly brought down Hannah Camhi and Dayna Lord in the No. 1 match, 8-1. No. 34 Tina Jiang and Crystal Leung clinched the point with their victory in the No. 2 match, 8-1.
Leung carried her momentum into the singles competition where she was the first to clinch a singles point, 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 4 match. Teammate Ioana Alecsiu followed shortly after taking the third team point 6-1, 6-2. Jiand clinched the victory for the Lions in straight sets with a win at the No. 3 position, 6-3, 6-0.
Vaidya dropped the only singles match of the day in a close match against one of her doubles foes, Dayna Lord, 4-6, 6-7. Sanon came back from behind in the second set to take the fifth team point, 6-4, 6-3. After taking the first set, Takenaga came back from a 1-4 deficit to win the set at 7-5.
Next up for Columbia is Yale tomorrow, Sunday, April 13 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center starting at noon.
The Lions will finish the season next weekend splitting time at home and on the road. Columbia plays Penn at home on Friday, April 18 at 2 p.m., then travels to Princeton to finish the season on Sunday, April 20 at noon.
No. 33 Columbia 6, Brown 1
1. No. 22 Bianca Sanon/ Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Hannah Camhi/Dayna Lord (BRWN) 8-1
2. No. 34 Tina Jiang/Crystal Leung (COL) def. Sarah Kandath/Niki Uberoi (BRWN) 8-1
3. Ioana Alecsiu/Tiana Takenaga (COL) vs. Ammu Mandalap/Ashley Noyes (BRWN) 5-5, unfinished
1. Dayna Lord (BRWN) def. No. 80 Kanika Vaidya (COL) 6-4, 7-6
2. Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Hannah Camhi (BRWN) 6-4, 6-3
3. Tina Jiang (COL) def. Niki Uberoi (BRWN) 6-3, 6-0
4. Crystal Leung (COL) def. Sarah Kandath (BRWN) 6-1, 6-1
5. Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Ammu Mandalap (BRWN) 6-3, 7-5
6. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Coco Hsu (BRWN) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles (1, 2) Singles (6,4,3,2,1,5)