NEW YORK – The Columbia women’s tennis team had its biggest win of the season Saturday, as the No.7 seeded Lions beat No.6 seeded Cornell, 5-2, in New Haven, Conn.
Columbia won the doubles point and four of the six singles matches to tke the win over the Big Red. Sophomores Bianca Sanon and Tiana Takenage had a win over Sarah O’Neil and Christine Ordway in the No.1 doubles spot, 8-4, while junior Nicole Bartnik and sophomore Ioana Alecsiu won at No.2, 8-6 to clinch the point. Junior Katarina Kovacevic and first-year Crystal Leung fell in the No.3 spot, 8-3.
In singles, Columbia entered with a 1-0 lead on Cornell, and made it 2-0 when Kovacevic beat Gabby Sullivan, 6-3, 6-4 in the No.4 spot. Sanon made it 3-0 with a win at No.2 singles over Ordway, 6-4, 6-4. But Cornell got a win in the No.6 spot, as Rosemary Li beat Chelsea Davis, 7-6(3), 6-3.
Columbia, up 3-1 , was able to clinch the win with a 7-5, 6-3 win by Bartnik in the No.1 singles spot over O’Neil. With the team match clinched the two remaining matches finished play. At No.3, Alecsiu fell to Ryann Young, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0(3), while Takenaga gave the Lions their fifth point, as she beat Sara Perelman, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 at No.5.
Up next for the Lions is another Ivy League foe, as Columbia will face off against No.5 seed Dartmouth, Sunday, February 19 at 8:30 a.m.
No. 7 Columbia University def. No. 6 Cornell University, 5-2
1. Sanon/Takenaga (COL) def. O'Neil/Ordway(COR), 8-4
2. Bartnik/Alecsiu (COL) def. Gabby Sullivan/Young (COR), 8-6
3. Li/Perelman (COR) def. Kovacevic/Crystal Leung (COL), 8-3
1. Nicole Bartnik (COL) def. Sarah O'Neil (COR), 7-5, 6-3
2. Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Christine Ordway (COR), 6-4, 6-4
3. Ryann Young (COR) def. Ioana Alecsiu (COL), 3-6, 6-4. 1-0 (3)
4. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) def. Gabby Sullivan (COR), 6-3, 6-4
5. Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Sara Perelman (COR), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Rosemary Li (COR) def. Chelsea Davis (COL), 7-6 (3), 6-3