ARLINGTON, Texas - The 53rd-ranked Columbia women's tennis team came away with four victories in singles action to knock off UT-Arlington to begin its three-match spring break trip in Texas.
The Mavericks took an early lead in the match by securing the doubles point with wins in the No. 1 and 3 matches. The top doubles match was played very close, but Brooke Dennis and Elizabeth Thoms were able to escape Nicole Bartnik and Ioana Alecsiu with a 9-8(7-4) win.
Columbia quickly bounced back in singles action, winning four matches in straight sets. In the No. 1 match, No. 61 Bartnik lost just one game to Katarina Dikosavljevic, 6-1, 6-0. Bartnik's doubles partner, Alecsiu used a 6-1 first set to take a quick lead on Verena Scott in the No. 5 match and then closed it out with a 6-4 second set.
In the No. 3 match, Crystal Leung recorded back-to-back 6-3 sets to take down Brooke Dennis. Tiana Takenaga posted the Lions fourth point, downing Thoms, 6-2, 6-3, in the No. 4 match. Amy Li was leading the No. 6 match for Columbia before play was called.
Next up for Columbia will be TCU on Thursday, March 21 at 4 p.m.
Columbia 4, UT-Arlington 2
1) Dennis/Thoms (UTA) def. Bartnik/Alecsiu (C) - 9-8(7-4)
2) Kovacevic/Takenaga (C) vs. D'ortona/Scott (UTA) - 8-8, DNF
3) Dikosavljevic/Foote (UTA) def. Leung/Li (C) - 8-2
1) No. 61 Nicole Bartnik (C) def. Katarina Dikosavljevic (UTA) - 6-1, 6-0
2) Glada D'ortona (UTA) def. Katarina Kovacevic (C) - 6-4, 6-0
3) Crystal Leung (C) def. Brooke Dennis (UTA) - 6-3, 6-3
4) Tiana Takenaga (C) def. Elizabeth Thoms (UTA) - 6-2, 6-3
5) Ioana Alecsiu (C) def. Verena Scott (UTA) - 6-1, 6-4
6) Amy Li (C) vs. Liucija Smaizyte (UTA) 7-6, 2-1, DNF