NEW YORK – The Columbia women’s tennis team notched a 4-3 win over Rutgers in the Dick Savitt Tennis Center Saturday, to improve to 5-0 on the season. For the fourth match in a row, Columbia won all three doubles spots to take an early lead.
In the No. 1 spot, sophomore Nicole Bartnik and Bianca Sanon beat their Rutgers opponents, 8-5, while senior Natasha Makarova and sophomore Katarina Kovacevic had an 8-3 win in the No. 2 spot. And the No.3 duo of sophomore Chelsea Davis and first-year Tiana Takenaga had an 8-4 win to finish out the sweep.
Rutgers managed to put up more of a fight in the singles, as the Scarlet Knights had three wins, the most of any team against the Lions so far this season. Bartnik improved her record in the No. 1 spot to a perfect 5-0, as she defeated Amy Zhang in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6(9). Bartnik has not dropped a set so far this season. Columbia also had a win from senior Makarova at No. 3, as the co-captain beat Morgan Ivey, 7-5, 6-0. And Davis had the winning point for Columbia in the No. 4 spot, as she beat Maryana Milchutskey, 7-5, 6-3.
Sanon had a 6-4, 6-4 loss to Jennifer Holzberg in the No. 2 spot, while Kovacevic fell to Stefania Balasa at No.5, 7-6 (4), 6-4. And first-year Ioana Alecsiu had a hard fought loss at No.1, as she won the first set, 6-1, before dropping the second and third to Vanessa Petrini, 6-4, 7-5.
Up next for the Lions is an early season preview of what the Ivy League will have to offer, as they head to Princeton, N.J., to take part in the ECAC tournament, Friday, February 18 to Sunday, February 20.
Columbia 4, Rutgers 3
1. Nicole Bartnik/Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Amy Zhang/Jennifer Holzberg (RUT) 8-5
2. Natasha Makarova/Katarina Kovacevic (COL) def. Morgan Ivey/Leonora Slatnick (RUT) 8-3
3. Chelsea Davis/Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Stefania Balasa/Vanessa Petrini (RUT) 8-4
1. Nicole Bartnik (COL) def. Amy Zhang (RUT) 6-2, 7-6 (11-9)
2. Jennifer Holzberg (RUT) def. Bianca Sanon (COL) 6-4, 6-4
3. Natasha Makarova (COL) def. Morgan Ivey (RUT) 7-5, 6-0
4. Chelsea Davis (COL) def. Maryana Milchutskey (RUT) 7-5, 6-3
5. Stefania Balasa (RUT) def. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) 7-6 (10-4), 6-3
6. Vanessa Petrini (RUT) def. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) 1-6, 6-4, 7-5