Women's Tennis Falls to Maryland, 5-2
NEW YORK - The Columbia women's tennis team fell to Maryland Friday, in College Park, Md., by a score of 5-2. First-year Tiana Takenaga and sophomore Katarina Kovacevic had wins in the Nos. 5 and 6 singles spots for the Lions. With the loss, the Lions are now 6-3 on the season.
Maryland swept the doubles point, with three quick wins. Singles saw Maryland take wins in the top four spots to clinch the win.
At No.1, sophomore Nicole Bartnik suffered her first loss of the season, as she was beaten by Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar, 6-1, 6-4. First-year Biana Sanon fell in the No.2 spot to Ana Belzunce, 6-2, 6-1, while senior Natasha Makarova lost to Jordaan Sanford, 6-0, 6-1. And sophomore Chelsea Davis lost a battle, as she won the second set, but fell in the third set tiebreaker to Julia Huschke, 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (11-9).
Columbia had two wins at the bottom of the lineup, as first-year Tiana Takenaga beat Jordan Hansbrough, 6-2, 6-2 in the No.5 spot, while sophomore Katarina Kovacevic beat Welma Luss at No.6, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.
Up next for the Lions is a match against Temple in Philadelphia, Pa., Saturday, February 26 at 2 p.m.
Maryland 5, Columbia 2
1. Jordaan Sanford/Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (MAR) def. Nicole Bartnik/Bianca Sanon (COL) 8-0
2. Welma Luus/Ana Belzunce (MAR) def. Katarina Kovacevic/Natasha Makarova (COL) 8-5
3. Julia Huschke/Jordan Hansbrough (MAR) def. Tiana Takenaga/Chelsea Davis (COL) 8-2
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (MAR) def. Nicole Bartnik (COL) 6-1, 6-4
2. Ana Belzunce (MAR) def. Bianca Sanon (COL) 6-2, 6-1
3. Jordaan Sanford (MAR) def. Natasha Makarova (COL) 6-0, 6-1
4. Julia Huschke (MAR) def. Chelsea Davis (COL) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MAR) 6-2, 6-2
6. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) def. Welma Luus (MAR) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 6, 5, 4