Women's Tennis Beats Temple, 4-3
NEW YORK – The Columbia women’s tennis improved its overall record to 7-3 on Saturday, as the Lions handed Temple a 4-3 defeat in Philadelphia. Though the Owls got the doubles point, Columbia managed to take four of the six singles matches to earn the win.
Temple won the No.2 doubles match, but Columbia’s Chelsea Davis and Tiana Takenaga had a win at No.3 doubles, 8-5, to tie it up. Despite a good fight in the No.1 position, Nicole Bartnik and Bianca Sanon fell, 9-7, to give Temple the early 1-0 lead.
But the Lions were not deterred. Columbia went out and won four singles matches to take the overall win. First-year Takenaga was the first to finish, as she beat Alicia Doms, 6-1 6-1 in the No. 4 spot. Sophomore Katarina Kovacevic was next, as she downed Mellana Cramer in the No.5 spot, 7-5, 7-5. And first-year Ioana Alecsiu made it 3-1 Lions with her win at No.6 over Jordan Batey, 6-3, 6-2. Sophomore Nicole Bartnik clinched the win for the Lions at No.1, as she beat Temple’s Theresa Stangl, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.
Temple had wins in the Nos. 2 and 3 singles spots, both of which came in three sets. Senior Natasha Makarova lost 6-4, 6-7(7-9), 6-2 to Elyse Steiner in the No.2 spot, while Yana Mayrina beat Davis in the No.3 spot, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Up next for the Lions is the start of their spring break road trip. Columbia heads to California March 13, where they will take on Long Beach State, Colorado State, Loyola Marymount and Cal Northridge.
Columbia 4, Temple 3
1. Theresa Stangl/Christine Clermont (TEMP) def. Nicole Bartnik/Bianca Sanon (COL) 9-7
2. Lucie Pazderova/Elyse Steiner (TEMP) def. Katarina Kovacevic/Natasha Makarova (COL) 8-2
3. Chelsea Davis/Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Yana Mavrina/Alicia Doms (TEMP) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1*
1. Nicole Bartnik (COL) def. Theresa Stangl (TEMP) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. Elyse Steiner (TEMP) def. Natasha Makarova (COL) 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 6-2
3. Yana Mavrina (TEMP) def. Chelsea Davis (COL) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Alicia Doms (TEMP) 6-1, 6-1
5. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) def. Mellana Cramer (TEMP) 7-5, 7-5
6. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Jordan Batey (TEMP) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6, 1*, 3, 2