Women’s Tennis Falls to Long Beach State, 7-0
NEW YORK – The Columbia women’s tennis team opened its spring break trip in Long Beach, Calif., with a 7-0 loss at the hands of the 49ers. Long Beach won all three doubles matches, and six of six singles matches.
Columbia had two good battles in singles, and four tough losses. Bartnik lost in straight sets at No.1 to Anais Dallara, 6-2, 7-5, while Takenaga fell in the No.4 singles spot, 6-2, 6-3. Davis lost at No.5, 6-2, 6-1, to Long Beach’s Sarah Cantlay, while Kovacevic played No.6, falling to Anna Jeczmionka, 6-2, 7-5.
Sanon had a battle with Klaudia Malenovska in the No.2 singles spot, as she won the second set, taking it to a tiebreaker in lieu of a third set, but Malenovska pulled it out, winning 6-3, 1-6, 12-10. And Makarova also had a tough loss, after taking the first set from Deborah Armstrong in the No.3 spot, 4-6, 6-3, 10-5.
Long Beach State 7, Columbia 0 Doubles
1. Anais Dallara/Klaudia Malenovska (LBS) def. Nicole Bartnik
2. Deborah Armstrong/Rachel Manasse (LBS) def. Natasha Makarova
3. Julie Luzar/Sarah Cantlay (LBS) def. Chelsea Davis
(COL) 8-5 Singles
1. Anais Dallara (LBS) def. Nicole Bartnik
(COL) 6-2, 7-5
2. Klaudia Malenovska (LBS) def. Bianca Sanon
(COL) 6-3, 1-6, 12-10
3. Deborah Armstrong (LBS) def. Natasha Makarova
(COL) 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
4. Rachel Manasse (LBS) def. Tiana Takenaga
(COL) 6-2, 6-3
5. Sarah Cantlay (LBS) def. Chelsea Davis
(COL) 6-2, 6-1
6. Anna Jeczmionka (LBS) def. Katarina Kovacevic
(COL) 6-2, 7-5