NEW YORK – The Columbia women’s tennis team opened its spring break trip in Long Beach, Calif., with a 7-0 loss at the hands of the 49ers. Long Beach won all three doubles matches, and six of six singles matches.
In the No.1 doubles match, sophomores Nicole Bartnik and Katarina Kovacevic suffered an 8-2 loss, while sophomore Chelsea Davis and first-year Tiana Takenaga fell 8-5 in the No.3 spot. First-year Bianca Sanon and senior Natasha Makarova had the closest match of the day, as they lost 8-6 in the No.2 doubles spot.
Columbia had two good battles in singles, and four tough losses. Bartnik lost in straight sets at No.1 to Anais Dallara, 6-2, 7-5, while Takenaga fell in the No.4 singles spot, 6-2, 6-3. Davis lost at No.5, 6-2, 6-1, to Long Beach’s Sarah Cantlay, while Kovacevic played No.6, falling to Anna Jeczmionka, 6-2, 7-5.
Sanon had a battle with Klaudia Malenovska in the No.2 singles spot, as she won the second set, taking it to a tiebreaker in lieu of a third set, but Malenovska pulled it out, winning 6-3, 1-6, 12-10. And Makarova also had a tough loss, after taking the first set from Deborah Armstrong in the No.3 spot, 4-6, 6-3, 10-5.
Long Beach State 7, Columbia 0
1. Anais Dallara/Klaudia Malenovska (LBS) def. Nicole Bartnik/Katarina Kovacevic (COL) 8-2
2. Deborah Armstrong/Rachel Manasse (LBS) def. Natasha Makarova/Bianca Sanon (COL) 8-6
3. Julie Luzar/Sarah Cantlay (LBS) def. Chelsea Davis/Tiana Takenaga (COL) 8-5
1. Anais Dallara (LBS) def. Nicole Bartnik (COL) 6-2, 7-5
2. Klaudia Malenovska (LBS) def. Bianca Sanon (COL) 6-3, 1-6, 12-10
3. Deborah Armstrong (LBS) def. Natasha Makarova (COL) 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
4. Rachel Manasse (LBS) def. Tiana Takenaga (COL) 6-2, 6-3
5. Sarah Cantlay (LBS) def. Chelsea Davis (COL) 6-2, 6-1
6. Anna Jeczmionka (LBS) def. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) 6-2, 7-5