Columbia took two of the three doubles matches and all six singles wins to beat the Rams with ease. In doubles, first-year Ioana Aleccsiu and sophomore Katarina Kovacevic had the lone loss, as they fell in the No.3 doubles spot, 8-4. At No.1, first-year Bianca Sanon and senior Natasha Makarova teamed up against Caitlin Fluegge and Tori Arneson, to win by a resounding 8-1. And at No.2, sophomore Chelsea Davis and first-year Tiana Takenaga won 8-4, beating Colorado State’s Lauren Mulhern and Kaley Schultz.
In singles, Columbia had four straight set wins, while two of the matches went to a third-set tiebreaker. Sanon had a straight set win at No.1 singles, as she beat Fluegge, 6-2, 6-1. Davis also won in straight sets at No.4, beating Kaley Schultz, 6-1, 6-3. First-year Takenaga had a resounding win in the No.3 spot, as she beat Veronika Wojakowska, 6-1, 6-0. And first-year Ioana Alecsiu won in the No.6 spot, beating Kaitlin Wooldridge, 6-0, 6-2.
Makarova had a battle in the No.2 singles spot against Arneson, as she won the first set, 6-3, but dropped the second, 7-5. Going to a tiebreaker in lieu of a third set, Makarova pulled out the win, taking the match 6-3, 5-7, 10-7. And sophomore Kovacevic also rallied back from a second set loss, as she beat Lauren Pick, 6-2, 4-6, 10-4.
Up next, the Lions will travel on to Los Angeles, Calif., where they will take on Loyola Marymount, Thursday, March 17 at 1 :30 p.m. PST.
Columbia 7, Colorado State 0
1. Bianca Sanon/Natasha Makarova (COL) def. Caitlin Fluegge/Tori Arneson (CSU) 8-1
2. Chelsea Davis/Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Lauren Mulhern/Kaley Schultz (CSU) 8-4
3. Veronika Wojakowska/Melissa Holzinger (CSU) def. Ioana Alecsiu/Katarina Kovacevic (COL) 8-4
1. Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Caitlin Fluegge (CSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Natasha Makarova (COL) def. Tori Arneson (CSU) 6-3, 5-7, 10-7
3. Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Veronika Wojakowska (CSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Chelsea Davis (COL) def. Kaley Schultz (CSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) def. Lauren Pick (CSU) 6-2, 4-6, 10-4
6. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Kaitlin Wooldridge (CSU) 6-0, 6-2