NEW YORK - Coming off of a tough two-match losing streak at the end of the spring break trip, the Columbia women's tennis team bounced back Friday, with a 7-0 sweep of local rival Long Island, at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
Columbia had wins at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles, as Nicole Bartnik and Natasha Makarova teamed up to win 8-5 at No.1, while first-year Bianca Sanon and senior Natalia Christenson won in the No.2 spot, 8-1. LIU defaulted in the No.3 spot, giving the Lions an automatic sweep of the doubles point.
Singles saw Columbia take straight set wins in the top four singles spots. Bartnik had a win at No.1, beating Taysha Blessington, 6-2, 7-5, while sophomore Katarina Kovacevic won at No.2, 6-4, 6-1 over Aleksandra Pavlovic.
Two first-years wrapped up the win for the Lions, as Tiana Takenaga beat Fatima Ouattara at No.3, 6-0, 6-2, and Ioana Alecsiu beat Dara Lahens 6-0, 6-3, at No.4. The Blackbirds defaulted in the Nos. 5 and 6 singles spots, giving Columbia the 7-0 sweep. With the win, the Lions are now 9-6 overall.
Long Island marked the end of the non-league slate for the Lions, as Columbia's Ivy League season starts in April. First up for the Lions are Dartmouth and Harvard, who will come to the Dick Savitt Tennis Center, Friday, April 1 and Saturday, April 3, for matches scheduled for 2 p.m. and 12 p.m.
Columbia 7, Long Island 0
1. Bartnik/Natasha Makarova (COL) def. Pavlovic/Blessington (LIU), 8-5
2. Bianca Sanon/Natalia Christenson (COL) def. Lahens/Ouattara (LIU), 8-1
3. COL won by default
1. Nicole Bartnik (COL) def. Taysha Blessington (LIU), 6-2, 7-5
2. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) def. Aleksandra Pavlovic (LIU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Fatima Ouattara (LIU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Dara Lahens (LIU), 6-0, 6-3
5. COL won by default
6. COL won by default