NEW YORK – The Columbia women’s tennis team lost to #43 Brown Sunday in Providence, R.I., 6-1. Brown won the doubles point and five singles matches to take the win from the Lions.
In doubles, Columbia struggled, suffering tough losses. Tiana Takenaga and Nicole Bartnik lost at No.1, 8-2, while Chelsea Davis and Natasha Makarova fell in the No.2 spot, 8-0. And at No.3, Katarina Kovacevic and Ioana Alecsiu lost a close one, 8-4.
Singles saw the nationally ranked Bears challenge the Lions throughout the lineup. Columbia’s point came in the No.1 singles spot, where sophomore Nicole Bartnik beat Misia Krasowski in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. The rest of the wins, however, all went to the Bears. At No.2, senior Natasha Makarova fell to Bianca Aboubakare, 6-4, 6-2. At No.3, sophomore Katarina Kovacevic suffered a 6-4, 6-2 loss to Cassandra Herzberg, while first-year Ioana Alecsiu lost to Jessica Harrow at No.4, 6-4, 7-6. Sophomore Chelsea Davis, just back from an ankle injury, fell to Ariel Caldwell in the No.5 spot, while first-year Tiana Takenaga lost in the No.6 spot to Julie Flanzer, 6-0, 6-1.
Up next for the Lions is Ivy League powerhouse Princeton, who Columbia will host, Friday, April 15 at 2 p.m. The match will be the last home event of the season for women’s tennis, and the Lions will use the occasion to honor senior co-captains Natalia Christenson and Natasha Makarova.
#43 Brown 6, Columbia 1
1. Nicole Bartnik (COL) def. Misia Krasowski (BROWN) 6-2, 6-3
2. Bianca Aboubakare (BROWN) def. Natasha Makarova (COL) 6-4, 6-2
3. Cassandra Herzberg (BROWN) def. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jessica Harrow (BROWN) def. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) 6-4, 7-6
5. Ariel Caldwell (BROWN) def. Chelsea Davis (COL) 6-0, 6-1
6. Julie Flanzer (BROWN) def. Tiana Takenaga (COL) 6-0, 6-1