NEW YORK – The Columbia women’s tennis team ended the 2011 season with a loss in Philadelphia, Pa., as the Lions lost to Penn, 5-2. With the loss, Columbia ends the season at 9-13 overall and 0-7 in the Ivy League.
Columbia and Penn split the first two doubles matches, as Bianca Sanon and Natasha Makarova lost in the No.1 spot, 8-4, and Katarina Kovacevic and Tiana Takenaga won at No.3, 8-5. The doubles point came down to No.2 doubles, where Nicole Bartnik and Ioana Alecsiu were playing. Down 7-6, Penn broke Columbia’s serve, and took the match, 8-6, clinching the doubles point.
Penn won three quick singles matches to clinch the team victory. At No. 2, Kovacevic lost to Alexa Ely, 6-4, 6-4, while Makarova fell to Jaime Yapp-Shing at No.2, 6-1, 6-3. The team win was clinched when Bartnik lost at No.1, as she fell to nationally ranked #29 Connie Hsu, 6-4, 6-2. Columbia also had a loss at No. 6 singles, where Chelsea Davis fell to Lauren Bridges, 6-3, 7-6(7).
Columbia had two wins from first-years in the middle of the lineup. Takenaga had a win in the No.5 singles spot, as she beat Emma Whitfield, 6-2, 6-1, and Alecsiu won at No.4, beating Stephanie Do, 6-3, 6-2.
Penn 5, Columbia 2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Connie Hsu (P) def. Nicole Bartnik (C), 6-4, 6-2
2. Alexa Ely (P) def. Katarina Kovacevic (C), 6-4, 6-4
3. Jaime Yapp-Shing (P) def. Natasha Makarova (C), 6-1, 6-3
4. Ioana Alecsiu (C) def. Stephanie Do (P), 6-3, 6-2
5. Tiana Takenaga (C) def. Emma Whitfield (P), 6-2, 6-1
6. Lauren Bridges (P) def. Chelsea Davis (C), 6-3, 7-6(7)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6