NEW YORK – The Columbia women’s tennis team won its second straight match Sunday, as the Lions defeated Florida International in Miami, Fla. Columbia won two of the three doubles matches and four of the six singles matches to take the win and improve to 7-3 overall.
In doubles, Columbia got an early edge, as the No.1 FIU duo of Rita Maisak and Sarah McLean retired, down to Bianca Sanon and Tiana Takenaga, 5-0. Columbia clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win by Nicole Bartnik and Iani Alecsiu in the No.2 spot, over Giuliette Boha and Karyn Guttormsen. The Panthers got one win in the No.3 spot, as Christine Seredni and Lisa Johnson defeated Katarina Kovacevic and Crystal Leung, 8-4.
In singles, Columbia got wins at Nos. 1, 3, 4 and 6 to take the team victory. Bartnik defeated McLean in the top spot in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, while Alecsiu beat Guttormsen, 6-1, 7-6(7). First-year Leung beat Seredni at No.4, 6-1, 6-2, while sophomore Takenaga beat Djordjevic in the No.6 spot, 6-4, 6-0.
Florida International got wins at Nos. 2 and 5, as Johnson beat Sanon at No.3, 7-6, 6-4, and Boha defeated Kovacevic at No.5, 6-2, 7-6 (9).
Up next for the Lions is one last non-league weekend before the Ivy League season begins. Columbia will head to Virigina, to take on William & Mary, Friday, March 23 at 2 p.m., and Old Dominion, Saturday, March 24 at 11 a.m.
Columbia 5, Florida International 2
1. Sanon/Takenaga (COL) def. Rita Maisak/McLean (FIU), 5-0, ret.
2. Bartnik/Alecsiu (COL) def. Boha/Guttormsen (FIU), 8-4
3. Seredni/Johnson (FIU) def. Kovacevic/Leung, 8-4
1. Nicole Bartnik (COL) def. Sarah McLean (FIU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Lisa Johnson (FIU) def, Bianca Sanon (COL), 7-6, 6-4
3. Iani Alecsiu (COL) def. Karyn Guttormsen (FIU), 6-1, 7-6(7)
4. Crystal Leung (COL) def. Christine Seredni (FIU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Giulietta Boha (FIU) def. Katarina Kovacevic (COL), 6-2, 7-6(9)
6. Tiana Takenaga def. Nina Djordjevic (FIU), 6-4, 6-0
Currently No Schedule Data To Display