Women’s Tennis Wins Fourth Straight Over Old Dominion, 4-0
NEW YORK – The Columbia women’s tennis won its final non-league match Saturday, beating Old Dominion in Norfolk, Va., 4-0. The two teams played singles first, and halted the match once Columbia had clinched the win. The Lions are 9-3 overall heading into the start of the Ivy League season.
Junior Chelsea Davis started the ball rolling for the Lions with her 6-1, 6-0 win over Faith Atiso in the No.6 spot. Sophomore Bianca Sanon also had a convincing win in straight sets, as she beat Aleksandra Mitrovska at No.2, 6-4, 6-2. Sophomore Iani Alecisu beat Melissa Esnal Olguin in the No.3 spot, 6-4, 6-4, to put Columbia up, 3-0, and junior Katarina Kovacevic clinched the match with a three-set win in the No.4 spot. Kovacevic beat Nika Khmolovska, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.
Sophomore Tiana Takenaga’s match at No.5 against Juliana Pires was called once Columbia had assured the win, as she’d won the first set, 6-4, and was tied 5-5 in the second. Junior Nicole Bartnik’s match was also called when she was up in the third over Diana Ivanova, 4-6, 6-1, 3-1, DNF.
Up next for the Lions is the Ivy League season opener. Columbia will host Cornell, Saturday, March 31 at 12 p.m. at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
Columbia 4, Old Dominion 0
1. Nicole Bartnik (COL) vs. Diana Ivanova (ODU), 4-6, 6-1, 3-1, DNF
2. Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Aleksandra Mitrovska (ODU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Iani Alecsiu (COL) def. Melissa Esnal Olguin (ODU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) def. Nika Khmolovska (ODU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Tiana Takenaga (COL) vs. Juliana Pires (ODU), 6-4, 5-5, DNF
6. Chelsea Davis (COL) def. Faith Atiso (ODU), 6-1, 6-0