COLLGE PARK, Md. - The No. 52 Columbia women's tennis team got back to .500 on the season (3-3) downing the Maryland Terrapins Saturday on the road. The Lions posted a 6-1 victory, winning five of six singles matches and the doubles point to defeat the Terrapins for the first time in program history.
Columbia picked up the doubles point, taking the top two matches. Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya dominated the No. 1 doubles match, defeating Vroni Van Berlo and Olga Gaistruk by a score of 8-1. Katarina Kovacevic and Tiana Takenaga clinched the doubles point for Columbia by capturing the No. 2 match over Olga and Nataliya Bredikhina, 8-3.
The Lions had similar success in singles competition, winning matches Nos. 2-6. Vaidya notched her second win of the day in the No. 2 match by a 6-3, 6-0 score over Olga Bredikhina. In the No. 3 match, Crystal Leung faced a tough first set versus Sarah Gealer, but came away with the 7-5 win and then eased her way to a straight-set win by capturing the second, 6-1.
Kovacevic and Takenaga also recorded two-set victories in the No. 4 and 5 matches, respectively. Kovacevic beat Gaistruk, 6-2, 6-3, while Takenaga registered two 6-2 sets against N. Bredikhina.
Amy Li closed out the match, winning a three-set thiller over Gabriela Srodowski, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.
Columbia will return home to take on Akron at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center Sunday, Feb. 24 at 11 a.m. Fans are reminded that free pizza will be provided at tomorrow's match.
1. Sanon/Vaidya (C) defeat Vroni Van Berlo/Olga Gaistruk (M) 8-1
2. Kovacevic/Takenaga (C) defeat Olga Bredikhina/Nataliya Bredikhina (M) 8-3
3. Leung/Li (C) vs. Sarah Gealer/Gabriela Srodowski (M) DNF 6-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Van Berlo (M) defeats Bianca Sanon (C) 4-6, 6-4 (10-7)
2. Kanika Vaidya (C) defeats Olga Bredikhina (M) 6-3, 6-0
3. Crystal Leung (C) defeats Gealer (M) 7-5, 6-1
4. Katarina Kovacevic (C) defeats Gaistruk (M) 6-2, 6-3
5. Tiana Takenaga (C) defeats Nataliya Bredikhina (M) 6-2, 6-2
6. Amy Li (C) defeats Srodowski (M) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5, 3, 1, 6