NEW YORK - The Columbia women’s tennis team defeated the Denver Pioneers, 6-1, on Friday, Jan. 31 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
Sanon then extended the Lions lead to 2-0 with a straight set victory at the No. 2 singles match. Leung, Vaidya, and Ioana Alecsiu followed Sanon’s example, finishing their opponents in straight sets as well.
The battles of the day came in the No. 3 and 4 matches. After jumping out to a one set lead, Jiang fought hard to take down Sonja Radosevic in the second set, 7-5, in the No. 3 match. Tiana Takenaga battled to the end in the No. 4 match. She fell in the first set, 4-6, but came back swinging strong in the second set to win, 7-6, pushing the match to a tiebreaker. Takenaga ultimately lost 9-11 in the tiebreaker, giving Denver its only point of the day.
The Lions are back in action next weekend when they host the ECAC Team Tournament, Feb. 7-9 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
RESULTS: Columbia 6, Denver 1
1. No. 24 Sanon/Vaidya (Col) def. Schnell/Van Genechten (Den), 6-0
2. No. 20 Leung/Jiang (Col) def. Slattery/ Radosevic (Den), 6-0
3. Takenaga/ Alecsiu (Col) vs. Hughes/Derbyshire (Den), 2-3 unfinished
1. No. 75 Kanika Vaidya (Col) def. Caroline Schnell (Den), 6-2, 6-1
2. No. 101 Bianca Sanon (Col) def. Maureen Slattery (Den), 6-0, 6-2
3. Tina Jiang (Col) def. Sonja Radosevic (Den), 6-0, 7-5
4. Kathryn Hughes (Den) def. Tiana Takenaga (Col), 6-4, 6-7, 11-9
5. Crystal Leung (Col) def. Eny Van Genechten (Den), 6-0, 6-2
6. Ioana Alecsiu (Col) def. Charlotte Derbyshire (Den), 6-3, 6-1