CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The 36th-ranked Columbia women’s tennis team posted a strong victory Friday on the road, downing No. 39 Harvard by a score of 6-1, improving to 2-0 in the Ivy League.
A pair of 8-4 wins highlighted doubles play for Columbia, putting them ahead 1-0 in the team scoring. No. 14 Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya won the top doubles competition, while the 30th-ranked tandem of Crystal Leung and Tina Jiang came away victorious in the No. 2 match.
The Lions then continued motoring through singles action, winning the first five matches to be completed, four in straight sets. Jiang toppled Monica Lee in the No. 2 match, 6-1, 6-2, to set the tone for singles competition. No. 71 Vaidya made it a 3-0 Lions’ lead, shutting out Spencer Liang in the first set of the top match, before finishing off the win with a 6-2 second set.
The clinching point came from Ioana Alecsiu in the No. 5 match, as she put away Hannah Morrill, 7-5, 6-2. Sanon extended the lead to 5-0 with another straight set win in Columbia’s favor, and Leung rallied after dropping the second set to Amy He to win the third for the victory.
Columbia is back in action on Saturday, taking on the Big Green of Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H.
1) No. 71 Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Spencer Liang (HAR) 6-0, 6-2
2) Tina Jiang (COL) def. Monica Lin (HAR) 6-1, 6-2
3) Bianca Sanon (COL) def. June Lee (HAR) 6-4, 6-3
4) Crystal Leung (COL) def. Amy He (HAR) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
5) Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Hannah Morrill (HAR) 7-5, 6-2
6) Amanda Lin (HAR) def. Tiana Takenaga (COL) 5-7, 6-2, 10-5
Order: 2, 1, 5, 3, 4, 6
1) Sanon/Vaidya (COL) def. Liang/Lee (HAR) 8-4
2) Leung/Jiang (COL) def. Morrill/M. Lin (HAR) 8-4
3) Takenaga/Alecsiu (COL) vs. A. Lin/He (HAR) 5-5, unfinished