BOX SCORE (.html) | BOX SCORE (.pdf)



NEW YORK – The Columbia field hockey team rallied from a two-goal halftime deficit to top Colgate, 4-3, in overtime on Friday night. Sophomore Anna Scipioni delivered the game-winner just over a minute into the extra frame on a penalty stroke to seal the come-from-behind win.

A deliberate penalty was called in the semi-circle just under a minute into overtime and Scipioni aimed for the left side of the cage and netted her first score of the year.

The Raiders (2-11) took a 1-0 lead just five minutes in when Olivia Nabhan picked up a rebound after a shot by Halle Biggar and scored her third goal of the season.

Columbia (5-6) responded with some sustained offensive pressure and evened the score in the 13th minute. Kyle Marsh took a penalty corner and was the beneficiary of a pair of nice touch passes by Liz Malone and Lindsey Walter. Marsh was left wide open on the left side of the net and buried the chance for her first goal of the season.

However, Colgate answered with a goal off a penalty corner three minutes later after Eliana Brown redirected a shot by Kelsey Jensen to give the Raiders the lead back. Colgate extended the lead to 3-1 when Biggar found some open space down the middle of the field, stick-handled into the circle and fired a hard shot into the cage with 57 seconds left in the half.

The Lions pulled within a goal in the 48th minute on a goal created by the hard work of Christina Freibott. The sophomore midfielder charged down the left side and rifled a shot that was saved by the Raiders’ goalkeeper Amanda DiDomizio, but Leah Matthews was in perfect position to pick up the rebound to pull Columbia within 3-2.

It was a determined Freibott again who tied it in the 62nd minute, driving fearlessly into a crowded area in front of the net to tip in a shot by Lauren Skudalski off a penalty corner.

Skudalski came up big in her own end as time expired in regulation, making a key defensive save to help send the game into the extra session.

Kimberly Pianucci picked up the win, playing 35:48 off the bench to improve to 4-6 on the year. Freibott led all players with five shots, two on goal.

The Lions return to action this Sunday, Oct. 13 when they host No. 12 Albany at the Columbia Field Hockey Venue at 2 p.m.