Goals by Period
Team 1 2 OT Total
Columbia 0 3 1 4
Fairfield 1 2 0 3
Stat Comparison
Category Columbia Fairfield
Shots 17 19
Shots on Goal 9 16
Saves 13 5
Penalty Corners 16 7
Defensive Saves 1 0
Individual Leaders
Category Columbia Bucknell
Goals Four tied with 1 Three tied with 1
Assists Maeve Doherty - 1 Four tied with 1
Shots Maeve Doherty - 8 Andrea Soler - 4
Saves Katie Dempsey - 12 Caitlin Gilligan - 5

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Facing a 3-0 deficit with 14:15 left in regulation, the Columbia field hockey scored four unanswered goals to pick up a 4-3 overtime victory at Fairfield Sunday afternoon. The Lions (1-3) scored twice in the final two minutes of regulation and Michelle Thompson netted her second goal of the season to seal the win off a penalty corner.

The Lions’ rally started immediately after a timeout after they had fallen behind by three. Katherine Cavanaugh made a diving effort to tap in a loose ball to bring Columbia within 3-1 in the 57th minute. Columbia opted to play with an empty net in the final nine minutes of regulation and the extra attacker paid off in the 68th minute when Whitney Hartstone scooped up a rebound for her first goal of the season.

A turnover off the restart allowed the Lions to race up the field and draw a foul in the scoring area for a corner in the final minute. With 43 seconds on the clock, Crane tipped in Maeve Doherty’s shot from the point to force the extra session.

Goalkeeper Katie Dempsey, who finished with a career-high 12 saves, came up big in overtime to prolong the contest to set up Thompson’s walk-off strike. A kick stop in 74th minute prevented the ball from going through the left side of the cage. With 1:04 left in OT, a Stags (1-4) forward snuck behind the defense and was left one on one with the junior, who challenged the play to break up one chance before a second shot went wide.

Columbia raced down the pitch after regaining possession in the closing moments and Doherty wove through traffic to draw a corner just before time expired. With unlimited time to set up the play, Thompson redirected a shot into the middle of the goal to complete the comeback.

In the first half, the teams traded corner chances in the opening five minutes with the Stags finishing on their opportunity to grab the early lead. Jaclyn Gallagher deflected one home off Cassie Hughes’ shot off the set piece.

Columbia maintained possession for a significant chunk of the action in the frame. However, a stingy Fairfield effort that clogged the scoring area limited the number of shots they faced. Midway through the period, the Lions drew a trio of corners, but could not tally the equalizer.

The Columbia ball control and its backfield’s strong positioning on clear attempts held the Stags without another shot until the 29th minute when Katie Dempsey stopped a shot by Andrea Soler. Fairfield built a little momentum off its second corner, but Dempsey made two more stops to keep it a one-goal contest.

Dempsey continued to do all she could to keep the Lions in the game after intermission, turning away the first seven shots she faced in the half. The Stags finally broke through with a pair of scores just under two minutes apart, an Erin Buckley goal off a corner and a Soler mark in the 55th minute.

Next up for the Lions, a showdown at Hofstra in Hempstead, New York, on Friday, September 15. Game time is slated for 4 p.m.