OXFORD, Miss. - The No. 44 Columbia men's tennis team
finished the ITA Kick-Off Weekend with an upset 4-1 win over No. 36
Louisville. This is the first time in The Columbia Tennis Alumni and Friends Head Coach of Men's Tennis Bid Goswami's 31-year career at Columbia that the Lions won a dual match against a top-40 ranked opponent in a national tournament. The victory over the Cardinals reflects the improvement of Columbia tennis, as the Lions lost 4-0 just two years ago (January 2011) in the same tournament to Louisville.
The Lions found themselves ahead 1-0 nothing over the
Cardinals after taking two of the three doubles matches. Louisville held the
early advantage by winning the No 2 doubles match, but Columbia responded to
win the No. 1 and 3 matches.
The 17th-ranked tandem of Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur
downed the 31st-ranked duo of Albert Wagner and Alex Gornet, 8-5, in the top
match to make the No. 3 match the decisive contest. Bert Vancura and Eric Rubin
came through for the Lions with an 8-7 (7-4) edging of Van Damrongsri and Seb
Narayana and Vancura each picked up their second wins of the
day in singles action. Following No. 44 Winston Lin's straight-set win over No.
82 Stiefelmeyer in the No. 1 match, Narayana put away Wagner, 6-3, 6-1, to give
Columbia a 3-0 advantage.
Chris Simich gave Louisville its lone point of the match,
capturing the No. 3 match, but Vancura would put things away in the No. 5
match. The sophomore posted back-to-back 6-4 sets to close out Luis Elizondo
and the Cardinals.
Columbia returns to action Friday, Feb. 1 when it hosts
Fordham at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
No. 44 Columbia University 4, No.
36 Louisville 1
1. No. 17 Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (CU) def. No. 31 Albert
Wagner/Alex Gornet (LOU-MT) 8-5
2. Austin Siegel/Luis Elizondo (LOU-MT) def. Winston
Lin/Nathaniel Gery (CU) 8-3
3. Bert Vancura/Eric Rubin (CU) def. Van Damrongsri/Seb
Stiefelmeyer (LOU-MT) 8-7 (4-7)
1. No. 44 Winston Lin (CU) def. No. 82 Seb Stiefelmeyer
(LOU-MT) 6-1, 6-3
2. Ashok Narayana (CU) def. Albert Wagner (LOU-MT) 6-3, 6-1
3. Chris Simich (LOU-MT) def. Eric Rubin (CU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
4. Max Schnur (CU) vs. Austin Siegel (LOU-MT) 6-4, 1-6, 3-0,
5. Bert Vancura (CU) def. Luis Elizondo (LOU-MT) 6-4, 6-4
6. Nathaniel Gery (CU) vs. Alex Gornet (LOU-MT) 3-2,
Columbia University 1-2; National ranking No. 44
Louisville 3-3; National ranking No. 36
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,3,5)