MONTGOMERY, Ala. - After dropping the doubles point, the No.
34 Columbia men's tennis team rallied to tie its opening round match against
No. 47 Texas Tech at the 65th Annual Blue-Gray National Tennis Classic at 3-3, but
dropped the final match to fall to the Red Raiders, 4-3, Friday.
The Red Raiders got out to an early lead on Columbia,
winning the top two doubles contests to go up 1-0. Bert Vancura and Dragos
Ignat captured the No. 3 doubles match for the Lions by a score of 8-5 over
Gabriel Wanderlay and Francisco Zambon.
Columbia bounced back, winning three of the first five
singles matches to knot the score at 3-3. No. 34 Winston Lin came away with a
straight-set victory in the top singles match over Vitor Manzini, 7-5, 6-4. Max
Schnur also captured a two-set win for Columbia in the No. 4 match, topping
Raphael Pfister, 7-5, 7-5.
Vancura secured his second win of the day in the No. 5
singles match, downing Zambon, 6-1, 1-6, 7-5, to put the onus on the No. 3
match between Columbia's Ashok Narayana and Texas Tech's Felipe Soares.
Narayana took the early lead, recording a 6-4 win in the first
set. Soares responded with a 6-3 victory in the second set to send the match to
a decisive third. Both players continued to battle, but Soares held off
Narayana for the 6-4 win to give the Red Raiders a 4-3 team victory.
Columbia will next take on the loser of the No. 29 Cornell
and William & Mary match Saturday morning.
Texas Tech 4, Columbia 3
1) Lin (C) def. Manzini (TT) - 7-5, 6-4
2) Dias (TT) def. Ignat (C) - 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
3) Soares (TT) def. Narayana (C) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4) Schnur (C) def. Pfister (TT) - 7-5, 7-5
5) Vancura (C) def. Zambon (TT) - 6-1, 1-6, 7-5
6) Dojas (TT) def. Gery (C) - 6-3, 6-1
1) Manzini/Dias (TT) def. Narayana/Schnur (C) - 8-6
2) Bryan/Soares (TT) def. Lin/Bucher (C) - 8-5
3) Vancura/Ignat (C) def. Wanderlay/Zambon (TT) - 8-5