DALLAS, Texas - On the day that the Columbia
men's tennis team moved up to the No. 32 ranking in the ITA national poll, the
Lions knocked off Southern Methodist, 5-2, to begin its spring break trip
Columbia got out to an early lead on
the Mustangs, capturing the No. 1 and 3 doubles matches to earn the doubles
point. The 24th-ranked tandem of Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur withstood a
tough test from No. 78 Arturs Kazijevs and Mischa Nowicki to win the top match,
9-8(7). In the No. 3 match, Dragos Ignat and Bert Vancura teamed up to take
down Nate Lammons and Pablo Perez-Esnaola, 8-5.
In singles action, the Lions earned
victories in four of the six matches, including three in straight sets. Ignat
dominated the first set of the No. 2 match, 6-1, and then finished off
Perez-Esnaola, 7-5, in the second set. Narayana notched his second win of the
day, defeating Gaston Cuadranti, 6-3, 6-3.
Narayana's doubles partner, Schnur,
played a very close two-set affair against Eduardo Razzeto, but prevailed with
a 7-6, 7-5 win. Nathaniel Gery picked up Columbia's fifth point, outlasting Lammons
in three sets, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6(6).
Columbia will be back in action
tomorrow, Wednesday, March 20 at TCU. First serve is set for 6 p.m.
No. 32 Columbia vs SMU
3/19/2013 at Dallas, Texas
Columbia 5, SMU 2
1. Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) def. No. 34 Winston Lin (COL) 6-3, 6-4
2. Dragos Ignat (COL) def. Pablo Perez-Esnaola (SMU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Gaston Cuadranti (SMU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Max Schnur (COL) def. Eduardo Razzeto (SMU) 7-6, 7-5
5. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Bert Vancura (COL) 7-6, 6-3
6. Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Nate Lammons (SMU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (6)
1. No. 24 Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) def. No. 78 Arturs Kazijevs/Mischa
Nowicki (SMU) 9-8 (7)
2. Gaston Cuadranti/Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Winston Lin/Cyril Bucher (COL) 8-1
3. Dragos Ignat/Bert Vancura (COL) def. Nate Lammons/Pablo Perez-Esnaola (SMU) 8-5